.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Christmas story

I usually don't post this kind of thing here, but I read this again today and it still makes me laugh. Mostly because I see so much of Aaryk and I in it.

(I hope no one is offended by the title!)

The Crap Tree

I commented on it there, but I'll tell you all here too. See we’re pretty much the opposite of Dave and his wife. If Aaryk had his way, we’d have the white lights and ‘nice’ ornaments. He doesn’t mind the hand-made and kid ones so much, but draws the line with kitsch. He rolls his eyes every year when, as he’s stringing the lights (which has always been the 'man' job at our house) he comes across the lone chili pepper light cover. But the one that just maked him shake his head at me is my light up USS Enterprise D. Apparently Star Trek and Christmas just don’t go together in his ‘white light’ world.

But, thankfully, he understands my need to have all my Christmas memories out on the tree and puts up with it. Until January 2nd anyway. Because one of the few traditions he brought with him into adulthood is that the tree goes up on Christmas Eve and comes down on January 2. Ours goes up a bit sooner than that usually, but not much.

It just made me think back to Christmases past, and how very glad I am that my family were all 'colored lights' folk! ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

*laughing* I loved the part about the drunken office party elves!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Oh I *so* understand!

I mentioned that Christmas is the Only Time of Year that Tacky is Okay. Himself said tacky is never okay. ;-)

When I was growing up, my family always put up our (fake) tree soon after Thanksgiving and took it down around 1/6 (Epiphany). "Too much tinsle" was simply not something I heard! ;->

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least this was never was what you experienced gorwing up. As you know EVERYTHING goes on the tree here. What a funny story. I used it as my contribution to the C. Eve family program. Dad and Jeff got a good laugh out of it. Mom

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home