.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Friday, May 20, 2005

Memorial Day, Packing, and the 82nd

First off, thank you to EVERYONE who found my blog through Hugh Hewitt and left such uplifting comments and emails. I know I have the love and support of my family and friends, but to see it pouring in from people I've never met is just incredible. Aaryk said to tell you all 'Thank you!' too.

The best news first- He's coming home for Memorial Day weekend! After some wrangling and changing of airfares, I got his ticket to come home. It's so neat to see how people in the business world treat our military. I was on America West Airlines website, getting his tickets and thought, "Hmm, I wonder if they offer any kind of military discount?" So I called, and sure enough, I was able to save about $50 that way. Unfortunately, I had him getting back to APG 90 minutes after formation on Monday the 30th. So, I called to see about changing that part of the ticket. The very nice lady on their reservation line walked me through the process, and waived the $100 surcharge for changing a non-changeable ticket. Bad news was that I had to pay an extra $122 for the ticket, because by that point all of the cheap seats were gone. But, he's coming HOME for 3 1/2 days, so it's all good!

My second experience with a military discount was at Shurgard Storage. I chose them to store our stuff because they are just right around the corner from our apartment. I figured that convenience was well worth any price difference I might find elsewhere. When I asked him about a military discount, he gave me 1/2 off my first full months rent! So, I've got about 60% of my things in storage now, and hope to be done with everything but the 'daily needs' stuff this weekend. I'll be staying in the place until Friday June 3, because they couldn't do the final walk through over Memorial Day weekend.

My last bit of news is that AT THE MOMENT, it looks like Aaryk will be attached to the 82nd. Which means most likely Fort Bragg, North Carolina. As with everything in the Army, that is subject to change at a moments notice, but that's what his file online says now. So long as it's not Ft. Wainwright Alaska (I REALLY dislike the cold, no matter how pretty it is!), or Korea (just because I can't go with), we'll be happy! Heck, we'd be happy in Alaska. Frozen, but happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home