.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Discouraged and just beat down

Aaryk woke me up again this morning with his Sunday morning phone call. I knew he was going to this time, so I kept the cordless phone in my room!

He is exhausted. As most of you know, he's not one to complain about himself. He ran out of Motrin for his knees and he said that he has been in more pain now than he can ever remember. It's chronic, and even with the Motrin he's having a difficult time with it. He told me this morning that the WTS program, while designed for returning servicemen, was designed for guys coming back in their mid to late 20's. The average age for their group is 32.

He has two main struggles (I've mentioned them before I believe). He has to pass his PT test on Monday, and has a Field Training Exercise (FTX) all of next week. He knows he can push and pass the run on the PT test, but is worried about what that will do to his knees. The FTX will be hard enough, they get dropped about 10K from the fort, and after a week or grueling work they have an 8K march back to Ft. Knox. The march is broken up with a live fire exercise in the middle, which is basically an obstacle course with bullets flying over your head. It's this march that concerns him.

If at any point this week they make him go to the sick call, he will at best be re-cycled through WTS, and probably end up at Ft. Benning GA for it, or worst case, they will give him a medical discharge and send him home. My dear husband does not deal well with failure, and this would be a terrible blow to him.

At this point he won't be getting any mail until they are back from the FTX, but I know he'd appreciate any encouragement from the folks 'back home'.

The other downer news is that they told the guys that they would miss 3 Sundays for Church. He just realized that one of them is Easter Sunday. No Easter Vigil, no sunrise service, nothing. That was just icing on the cake for his emotional wellbeing yesterday. He is stretched and exhausted in every possible way at this point, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Please pray with me, specifically for healing in his knees, strength during this next week, a boost to his morale, and peace with whatever the outcome of his WTS may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home