.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Got a package from Aaryk!

He's in the thick of WTS at this point, and asked me to let you all know how much he appreciates the prayers. He has called me every night this week! He won't be able to call me at all after Sunday for a week, so I think he's making up for that. He passed his BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) test yesterday, so he's only got two major hurdles left. On Monday he has his final PT test. He has to cut 40 seconds off his last time on the run to pass. Then they leave for their FTX (I think that's what he called it), Field Training Exercises. He's looking forward to that except for the 8K march back with the 'obstacle course' at the half-way point. Doesn't sound too hard until you consider that he's carrying 60+ pounds of gear the whole time!

He told me it was coming, but I finally got the package he sent this week! Along with a 12 page letter, he sent me a wonderful book titled, "Today's Military Wife: Meeting the Challenges of Service Life". It looks like it's going to be a terrific resource. I liked this part from the introduction~
Recipe for a Military Wife
1 1/2 cups patience
2 tablespoons elbow grease
1 pound courage
1 cup tolerance
dash of adventure
Marinate Frequently with salty tears and pour off excess fat. Sprinkle ever so lightly with money, kneading dough well until payday. Season with international spices. Bake for twenty years, or until done. Serve with pride.
~Author Unknown
Important Note~
When you write to him, please make sure that you address the envelope exactly as I have it listed here in the blog. If it's not, he gets to do pushups before he gets it! The drill sergeants don't do a lot of the 'head games' that you get in basic with these guys, but they DO still get reprimanded for the 'little things'. Not a huge deal, he said, but he did ask me to pass that along and to thank folks that have written to him. Also, after about Wednesday of this week, anything that gets mailed to him might miss him and have to get sent on to his next station in Aberdeen. So just be aware of that, but please keep the cards and letters coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home