.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Getting settled (kind of)

I finally have internet access again! The first few days out here I didn't mind not being able to get online, but when Aaryk was back at work watching TV all day got old fast! Besides, this is my lifeline to all of you!

I arrived at Ft Bragg on Sunday evening, and Aaryk had been given a 2 day pass so he didn't have to report back to work until Wednesday. We spent those days sleeping in, running errands, watching movies, and exploring the post and local Fayetteville. This place is HUGE! There is very little that can't be had on post. While Fayetteville proper does cater to the military community, it also has plenty for us wives. My Mom will appreciate how excited I was when I saw the JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts store. There is also a hole in the wall game store (reminds me of Waterloo games), and a comic shop. There's one decent sized mall and several smaller ones, and two movie multi-plexes.

Gone to the Movies
Speaking of movies, we've seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Dukes of Hazzard since I've been here. Charlie is much more in the flavor of the original book (dark and a little twisted but we enjoyed it very much), and Dukes was 'check your brain at the door' mind popcorn. If you never cared for the TV series, don't bother with the movie. If you'll admit to actually enjoying the series as a kid (or adult!), and don't mind A LOT of cussing, you might find yourself yelling 'YEE HAW' as you get on the freeway after watching it. Enjoyed it, but probably won't buy it on DVD. Charlie on the other hand is definitely a DVD purchase for us when it comes out.

That's a NASCAR
Somebody tell Sam, I've seen the light, NASCAR is just plain fun to watch! My folks watch a lot of racing, mostly IRL and NASCAR, and the first NASCAR race they had one I sort of turned my nose up at. Then I actually started watching. It's kind of like a train wreck. I really didn't want to get sucked into it, but watching these guys crash and hit each other's cars and keep going, it's kind of like a high speed demotion derby. That was it, I was hooked. Aaryk says I don't need another obsession, but can you really ever have too many? ;)

Back to the Plan Here
Ok, so now the plan is for us to fly home on the evening of the 15th, pick up the U-haul on the morning of the 16th, get it loaded and be out of town by early on the 17th. That doesn't leave a lot of time for visiting, and I'm sorry about that. I'm trying to not make too many commitments at this time, since I don't know how it's all going to play out. But if anyone is free to help us load the truck on the morning of the 16th, that would be a great help! I'll keep our itinerary updated here as best I can, or you are welcome to give me a call on my cell phone to get the latest. I won't have internet access after the 13th or 14th until we get back and have the cable modem set up here.

I think that's everything for now. I'll post some pictures when I can actually get them to upload. Dial-up internet is so slow!

Thanks for your prayers and support of our grand adventure!

2 Comments:

Blogger julio said...

I just found your blog... you have all my support and best wishes... I'm in the Army too, stationed in Fort Sill... we're headed to Iraq about the first part of Nov... glad to hear you're settled in well, good luck...

9:11 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Well foo! Unfortunately, since you are doing the moving thing during the week, I can't help (got the Job Thang alas). ;-(

Happy to hear you're settling in & finding stuff. Glad you two also got a few days to yourselves!!!

FYI - John B's mom died last week. He & Lisa came in Sat night & stayed the weekend with us & are now in Prescott taking care of stuff. Thoughts & prayers for John's mental/emotional health are appreciated.

Love you!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home