.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

When I can't not write...

The place I keep friends and family updated on our life in the US Army. My part in that I affectionately refer to as being part of the 82nd Chairborne Division!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Relief

Wow. Since I'm home all all right now, with no TV, I've been an online junkie again. Watching and reading about the aftermath of hurricane Katrina has brought me to tears. There are so many needs, so much that needs to be done, and it's going to take MONTHS at least, before some people can get back to their homes (or what remains of them).

I'm asking my family and friends to do a couple of things.

First- pray. I know most of you are anyway, this is mostly just a reminder.

Next- donate now if you can. Here's a couple of lists of charitable organizations working in (or heading to) the area now-

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/

http://instapundit.com/archives/025235.php

Finally- the long term recovery of the area is daunting task. The houses of worship in the area will be the ones that many will turn to for help. They, in turn, will need our help. Hugh Hewitt suggests-

"One idea I think should follow the general relief efforts of the next few days. Churches are always excellent conduits to the communities they serve, and can be trusted to be judicious yet generous with the aid they are provided. I will be recommending to my Presbyterian Church session that we offer to "adopt" a sister congregation like, say, The First Presbyterian Church of New Orleans, and send aid via that church.

Here's a list of links to churches in New Orleans.
Here'sa list of links to churches in Biloxi.
Here's a link to find churches in Gulfport.
Joshua Sharf has compiled a list of Jewish organizations in the area that can use help.

Institution-to-institution relief will be the long term solution once the short term humanitarian crisis passes."

If any of my non-Christian friends have suggestions for donations to other religious charities, please let me know and I will add them here and pass them on!

Family stuff

The folks are coming out in a week or so, and I'm looking very much forward to that! I'm not even beginning to look for work until after that, and then hopefully I can find something part-time in the afternoons. Otherwise, things have settled into a more normal routine here. I promise that EVENUALLY I'll get some pics taken and posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home